Monday, February 6, 2012

A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

I've been wanting to do a classroom data board for a while now.  I think the students really benefit from knowing exactly where they stand and are motivated to improve their own scores.  I have just been so busy that I've never gotten around to it.  I saw the board below on http://elementaryliteracyresources.blogspot.com/ a few days ago and I just haven't been able to get the idea out of my head.  I pinned it on Pinterest and it moved to the top of my to-do list.


Here's my version:

I used the large board above my sink.  I figured it was out of the way enough to not be distracting, but was also a good browsing place for students while they're washing their hands.  I heard somewhere that kids benefit more when you focus on intelligence and not effort, so that's why I chose Smart Cookies.  Did I make that up?

My board shows students' monthly progress on our online reading assessment program, Istation.  It also keeps track of students who get 100% on their spelling tests (motivation, I hope!) and where students are at on their memorization of the times table and quizzes.  The board also features how students are doing on each of the district proficiency assessments in reading, math, science and social studies, with a rubric in the middle.


My favorite part of the board is that fact that all the data is done by the students' numbers, so they know theirs but unless they know other students numbers, they can't make fun of others or feel like anyone is looking at their scores.  It's almost anonymous!

Tell me what you think!  Do you have a data board?  Any chance you want to do one?  I'd love to see other boards!


7 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I am planning on doing a Data Wall next year. Do you have any tips on the upkeep and progress of it???

    Thanks!
    LaRae H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, LaRae! The data wall was fairly easy to keep up - the word wizards section was updated each week after spelling tests were graded and math masters after each multiplication quiz (2x per week). I usually updated the word wizard section myself and allowed each student to fill in the next square on their own as they passed their next set of multiplication facts. I split my class with another for math, so I only had 12 students.

    As far as their reading progress, it was updated each month when the were re-assessed on iStation, the online reading program we use to monitor progress.

    All three of those parts really motivated my students to do better. They wanted to beat their previous scores!

    The district proficiency tests were the hardest to update since they were more random and sparse throughout the year. The goal was to update these as they came up, but I often didn't get around to it or forgot about it completely. It didn't really track progress and was really more for us as teachers to understand where our classes stood in relation to the rest of the school, district and so on. The students had a hard time understanding it and it didn't really motivate them to do better. Maybe next year I'll be more dedicated to it - or forget about it completely.

    Good luck on your data wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Data Wall! I have been searching and searching to get as many ideas as possible to make my own. I love your "Smart Cookies" title, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to do a data wall as well. I love your blog! I'm your newest follower. Stop by my blog when you get a chance.
    mrsseiber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just caution that EFFORT is actually more important to emphasize that intelligence. There is a lot of great info on that - and the danger of praising kids for being "smart." Here's some valuable info from Carol Dweck
    http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct07/vol65/num02/The-Perils-and-Promises-of-Praise.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that my students all know each others' classroom numbers. Even the kids I had last year STILL know what each others' numbers were (they like to recite the lists to me). On my data wall, I post our class averages for the concepts and have the students' individual data in their personal notebooks. Great layout for the board, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, can you share how your istation data is tracked? I love your data wall!

    ReplyDelete